Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sigh.

There are so many things you have to do when you move to a new town and state, and all of them end up rather complicated. Because we are going to be New York residents now, we have to get NY driver's licenses. This does not seem a particularly complicated task in and of itself, but we do have to show several things to the DMV to get it done, one of which is an out-of-state driver's license that shows the date it was issued. Easy enough, I think, and I take out my Texas license and look. Oops. It has the date it expires, but nothing about date issued. So, that means we have to get a "Driver's Record" letter from Texas with that information. Over to the Texas DPS web site, where I finally find the form to order the letter, but it doesn't say exactly what information will be included. I don't want to pay the $4.50 fee, get the letter, and then find out that it won't do the job. An email is sent to customer service, which they promise will be answered in 24 hours, unless it is answered in 48. Sigh.

We also have to register the car, which I think will not be a huge problem, but all the information on the web site is geared toward someone who is just buying a car. I am not buying a car and bringing it from out of state. I OWN my car. So I don't know if I have all the proper paperwork or not. And there is no DMV here in Brockport (see garbage pick-up below re services); we have to go to Greece or Rochester. Sigh.

Getting garbage pick-up is also complicated here in Brockport. The Village is not really big enough to have its own municipal facilities set up, so you have to contact a company yourself. But, they don't tell you which companies service the area. Luckily, today is garbage day, so I could see the trucks going up and down the street and then find their web site. But why is it so hard for someone to tell me who is available? And how much I should expect to pay? Another email that will be answered in 24 hours, unless it isn't. Sigh.

And I won't even go in to phone/cable/internet. It is as difficult here as it is anywhere, if you are trying to get a good deal. I know that getting the bundled package is theoretically a good deal, but I don't want caller ID, a billion channels, or unlimited long distance calling to Europe. I don't make that many phone calls, and don't get that many. I don't want to watch TV for 8 hours a day. I don't know anyone to call in Europe. Sigh.

But I have bread baking in the oven, and fresh bread can make most things right again... (Perhaps not so well as brownies, but I don't have enough chocolate for those, and I don't feel like going to the store at the moment.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ben and Hope,

Your new place looks very cozy and the fact that you have already had homemade bread makes it so much like home. Drew and I will miss you guys! Keep in touch. Keep on blogging and tell Ben to let us know when he is back in Austin!
Take care,
LuAnn