Monday, August 27, 2007

Biking on the Erie Canal


For years Benjamin has been trying (without much success) to get me to go for bike rides with him. It isn't so much that I don't like riding my bike as is that I don't like riding on big hills (I'm kind of a bike wimp) or in places with traffic. Well, we now have the solution right out our back door - the Erie Canal towpath/bike path. Yesterday we went for a ten-mile early morning ride...and I enjoyed it! It was great - no hills, a smooth path, and best of all - no cars!

We went early, hurrying through a brief breakfast, still in Texas mode and trying to beat the heat. We needn't have bothered. It was nice and cool, and because we were out early, the path was practically deserted. By the time we turned around and headed home, more people were out walking dogs and going on family bike rides, but it was still not very busy, compared to Town Lake (now Lady Bird Lake) trail in Austin.

So, I may have found a new (well, to me anyway) way to get some good exercise. Now I just need to get a bike that fits me better...

No comments: