Thursday, February 5, 2009

Everyone Needs Cookies!

I made a batch of one of my favorite cookies last night. Everyone needs good, unhealthy, easy to bake homemade cookies once in a while, so I thought I would share the recipe with you. It is from From Amish and Mennonite Kitchens by Phyllis Pellman Good and Rachel Thomas Pellman. I've had this cookbook since I was in elementary school, and it shows - the book is broken into pieces at the recipes I've used the most. I think the reissue of it is spiral bound - a good thing, if you ask me. All cookbooks should be spiral bound! Now, on to the cookies:

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup shortening
1 cup peanut butter
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour (I used 1/2 cup wheat flour, 1 cup white flour this time)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups rolled oats (quick is what the recipe calls for, but I only have old fashioned - they work)
1 cup chocolate morsels or raisins (be honest - who would prefer the raisins?)

  • Cream sugars and shortening. Add eggs and peanut butter and beat well.
  • Gradually add flour, salt, and baking soda. Add vanilla. Stir in oats and chocolate morsels.
  • Drop by heaping teaspoons onto cookie sheets and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. Cool on a rack.

1 comment:

Mary said...

omg! This cookie sounds very rich and extravagant. Yum, thanks for sharing. And, I agree about the spiral binding. I think any "how-to" should be spiral. Its the simple joys, eh?