Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Gardening for food and fun

We did a bit of gardening this past weekend. I finally got out to a garden center/nursery and bought some herbs - cilantro, oregano, and basil. The cilantro is a new attempt, but the oregano and basil are standards of my garden. I also have a little planter with some basil sprouts attempting to grow - I may have started them too early, and they may just not get going enough. We'll see.
I also have a planter full of lettuce. I was never able to get this to work back in Austin - too hot, started to late? Who knows. It is working here so far. We have been able to use some of the leaves in a salad once, when I thinned. I think it is ready to be thinned again this week. A salad made from fresh lettuce is one of the great things about gardening. Especially if you can also have a homegrown tomato with it. Alas, I won't be growing tomatoes this summer - we have to move before they would get anywhere, and it will be too hot in Arkansas when we arrive. Sigh. Some day I will have a garden with more tomatoes than I know what to do with, like my dad!
Benjamin did his part for the yard, mowing our rambunctious lawn. This is the type of place where having a lawn doesn't seem like pure folly, since it actually rains and such, although I am sure we would have a much smaller lawn and a larger vegetable garden if we actually lived here. And a mini-orchard with apples, peaches, cherries...

No comments: