Monday, February 13, 2012

A walk in the woods

 
One day during our visit to Washington, we went for a walk at a new park out near Woodinville. It was a gray and damp day, as usual at that time of year, the type of weather that makes all this moss and ferns possible.
 

When I was a child, I was always highly amused at visitors from other states who would express amazement at how green it was in Bellevue. Now I get it. After 6 years in Texas and 3 1/2 in Arkansas, I get it. Here, everything goes brown in the summer and winter.


Not in Washington. There was moss on every immovable surface on the walk, except the paths, but only because they were brand new.


Believe it or not, there was a stump under that carpet of moss. You know that old saying about how you can tell which direction you are going in the woods by finding which side of the tree the moss is growing on? Not in this forest.


In other news, I am still in recovery mode from last week's nasty cold. Still coughing, especially when watching something funny on TV (like George Carlin), and still blowing my nose too often. But I made it to the gym this morning for the first time in almost two weeks and managed a tennis class yesterday. Whew.

No comments: