Monday, October 18, 2010

Well, I'm awake

Because I had to fetch Benjamin from the airport at 11:15 last night, I was up way past my bedtime. Because I had to get up to go to work this morning, I didn't get enough sleep. So I am relying on several things to keep me going today:
  • A cup of strong tea.  Today it is Twinings English Breakfast. My favorite is Amhad's Imperial Blend, a mix of Earl Gray, Assam, and Darjeeling. I think it is technically not for sale in the North American market, because the only place I have ever found it, including deep searches on the internet, is a Middle Eastern grocery store in Austin. I didn't use it today because it is loose-leaf, and I wasn't sure I was coordinated enough to fill the tea ball and get it into the cup without making a huge mess. (OK, that is an exaggeration, but it may not be by the end of the day). I can't drink a soda or coffee because my body can't handle that much caffeine without making me extremely jittery - yes, I am a caffeine wimp - not to mention the amount of sugar in a soda would make my stomach and head hurt. So, tea it is.
  • Fishnet tights. One of the unexpected purchases from my shopping trip on Saturday. I have wanted a pair for a while, ever since I started having sock lust. I am hoping they make me feel somewhat spunky today, and that the spunkyness will give me energy. (Hah!)
  • Calzones. A friend and I made calzones for dinner last night, and I have one for lunch today. Calzones are really easy to make, if you make pizza dough from scratch. Instead of rolling the dough out into two large circles, you divide it into 5 or 6 smaller balls.  Roll one ball at a time into a rectangle; spread pizza sauce of your choice on half the dough (we used red sauce on some, and fresh homemade pesto on others); pile on your choice of toppings (sauteed spinach, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, feta, mozzarella); fold the top half of the dough over the fillings and pinch shut; brush with oil. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly or you will either burn your mouth or get scalded by escaping steam. Eat.
Tonight Miikka and I have our first class of sub-novice obedience together. The goal is to get Miikka to learn a long down-stay and to come when called, every single time. I hope I am awake enough by 7 PM to actually be in charge - Miikka is too short to reach the pedals of the car, so he can't drive.

No comments: