Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Puppy Pool Party!

Don't know where all the dogs went during this photo, but there were a lot of them.

On Saturday, the Maumelle Community Center pool was transformed into a puppy pool for a puppy pool party, benefiting the Maumelle Friends of the Animals.  Since Miikka loves playing in water that comes from a hose, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to see if he liked swimming.

Mama, what have you done to me?
Short answer: no. Long answer: still no.  He was somewhat intimidated by all the big dogs and their outsized exuberance - at one point, he and Benjamin were vaulted by a Great Dane - and water deeper than his toes.

OK, you made me swim. Can I get out now?

He followed me into deeper water where he was forced to swim, and he was actually quite good at it (I also took him in to the deeper water and let him go - he streaked back to the side of the pool) but did not enjoy it.

I'd rather just watch from here, thanks.
Too bad.  The retrieving dogs seemed to be having a lot of fun, jumping in after tennis balls.  Benjamin and I decided that, had the pool been filled with mud, then Miikka might have enjoyed the swim more. Ah well. Guess he will have to stick to chasing the hose and digging ankle traps in the yard.

No comments: