Thursday, April 3, 2008

Commuting - ugh

I survived my first day back working in a job - the work itself wasn't too bad, but the commute... It took me about 45 minutes to get home in traffic, thanks to road construction that has closed multiple lanes and heavy volume, when it took about 30 to get in. I haven't had to commute like that, well, ever. At least not as a driver. That is the key to my discontent I think - in Austin, traffic was horrible, but I rode the bus, so I only noticed it because it slowed down the bus. Heck, Austin was probably worse than here, since waiting for the bus (which could be delayed for a very long time), and riding the bus, could take 45 minutes - to go about 6 miles. At least here the time covers a greater distance. But I do wish I had a Prius or something, since I spent so much time going about 10 mph in 1st gear...

Apart from that, the work is OK. Nothing particularly exciting, and I wouldn't want to do it permanently, but for 4 months it will suffice. The office is something to do with financial aid at the Eastman School of Music, and also handles a variety of other financial stuff - I am not sure exactly what. I got to check receipts, and deposit tallies, and I got to use one of those calculators with the tape in it. That was the most exiting part of the day! And I discovered a very dangerous coffee house/cafe - dangerous because it has good desserts and tea, and a funky atmosphere. I could get fat/spend too much money very easily...

No comments: