Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Wrong Oatmeal

Breakfast has become something of a trial in the last couple of weeks. Both Benjamin and I are tired of our standard breakfasts - he of cereal and I of toast and peanut butter. We also both have breakfast tacos or scrambled eggs with toast, and we are both a little bored with that too. During the week, I often only have 15 or 20  minutes in which to cook and eat breakfast (and read comics on the interwebs, and check Facebook, and my email...) so I have to have something that doesn't take a lot of time (or something made in advance, but since I already make my lunch the night before, asking me to make breakfast is is bit much). I also must eat breakfast and it must have protein, or I get terrible low blood sugar by 8:30 or 9, and it can take all day to properly recover. Hence the toast with peanut butter.  It works, but it is dull.

So this morning, I figured it was time to break out the oatmeal - it is Fall now, and nice warming, filling breakfasts are appropriate. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that both the Scottish oatmeal and the steel-cut oats had been infested with moths. Sigh. We had an infestation a couple of months ago in the pantry, but the oatmeals were kept in a different cabinet, and sealed, so I had hoped they escaped the damage. Nope. I was forced to use rolled oats, which I only really like in cookies or bread. It was the Wrong Oatmeal. Sigh again. For next week I must stock up anew on my favorite oatmeals, and I must buy a new storage container to keep them safe.

No comments: