Friday, March 4, 2011

What's for dinner?

Is it safe to come out from under my rock yet? Hmm, I see Mike Huckabee has condemned Natalie Portman for being pregnant out of wedlock, there is still violence in Libya...maybe not. Sigh.

Anyway...We don't have anything planned for dinner tonight. We usually plan all our meals on Saturday with the understanding that we will go out for dinner one night of the week, and eat from the list the rest of the nights. I suppose we could eat the frozen soup, but, well, it doesn't sound very appealing. So, we don't have anything planned. For some people this would not be a problem, for us, it could spiral into an end of the world apocalypse if we don't figure something out. OK, so that is an exaggeration, but let's just say we don't do spontaneous meals well in our house. Here's why:
  • We don't have time during the day to figure it out together. This morning, when I realized we didn't have anything planned, I asked Benjamin if we wanted to eat out tonight, or try to figure out something at home. Now, this is really not fair to Benjamin, because by that point, I had already been up for 2 hours, been to the gym, showered and started breakfast. He had gotten out of bed and turned on his coffee pot. So my brain was way ahead of his, which was also suffering from a lack of caffeine. But if I don't ask in the morning, he is usually too busy during the day - teaching young minds, grading papers and so forth - that he just can't think about it. Without his input, we come to problem #2
  • My brain. So, the decision to eat out or in on a Friday night is left up to me. Here is the dialogue my brain holds with itself
    • Fun Side: Let's eat out. How about pizza, or Indian, or Greek, or Ashleys...
    • Stodgy side: Pizza? Again? That is what you always say. And we just had Indian twice not too long ago. Ashley's? Do you think we are made of money? That is a special occasion place, not an "I'm bored, let's eat out place."
    • FS: Fine. We can eat in. How about pizza, or nachos, or big bowls of ice cream topped with whipped cream.
    • SS: There you go with the pizza again. And nachos? Do you know how bad those are for you? Do you really want to waste all that time at the gym and give yourself a tummy ache for one night of nachos?
    • FS: Fine - you come up with something then, instead of just picking on my ideas. 
    • SS: Uhh...frozen soup?
    • FS: I thought we didn't want frozen soup. Isn't that how we got started in the first place?
    • SS: Maybe. Oh, I don't know. I can't think of anything. Let's go out.
    • FS: OK, where do you want to go? How about pizza?
At this point, we either give in and have pizza, or I force Benjamin to come up with something. I am not sure where we stand so far today.  I mean, pizza and nachos sound pretty good right now...

No comments: