Thursday, March 17, 2011

My First Tennis Match


Last night I played my first real tennis match for my new tennis team, and it was a lot of fun. I have played singles games before, but only with Benjamin, and for those of you who know me and my competitive nature, those usually don't end well. He is better than me (not that either of us are great), and I don't like losing to him. I mean, I really, really don't like losing to him (especially at tennis, which is ridiculous, since until November we had never taken lessons and were really pitiful) and I am a pretty bad loser. We have been playing in a small beginners' league since February, but that was different, because it was doubles, and it was more relaxed. So, I was a little apprehensive about playing a tennis match with someone else, a stranger in fact.

My singles match was hard-fought, lots of back and forth points. I moved well, got to the ball most of the time, made most of my (admittedly rather weak) serves. The best part was the feeling of playing outside, under the lights, with the darkness of the night sky overhead and a spring breeze cooling me down after a furious point. I didn't win (5-7, 3-6 if you are keeping score - I should have done better on the second set - I was up 3-1 early one, but I couldn't hold it) but I didn't give up or turn into a Hulk-like sore loser either, so it is a win in my book. Now I am looking forward to our future matches, and the chance to play outside under the lights.

No comments: