Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Taking action


Here is a copy of a letter I am sending to my representative.  I have never sent an actual letter to a representative before, although I have sent many emails. This one was prompted by the tone-deaf and somewhat disgusting email I received in response to one such email.

Dear Representative Griffin-
I am writing you to express my feelings of profound disappointment and anger when I learned that you were one of the co-sponsors of H.R. 217, the bill that removed federal funding from Planned Parenthood. In a form email I received from you, you stated that you “believe that every life is sacred and must be protected from conception.” Never mind the awful grammar of that statement (which makes it sound like you are actually supporting more birth control and abortions), the feelings expressed in it clash with your actions.
                Planned Parenthood is not simply an abortion provider; it is a source of vital preventative primary care for many women and men who cannot afford health care anywhere else. In fact, 90% of their work is to help prevent unplanned pregnancies (and thereby reducing the number of abortions), to provide screening for sexually transmitted diseases, and educating women about sexual health, so that when they do want to start a family, they know what steps to take to have a healthy child.
                I have never had an abortion, nor have I personally had to visit a Planned Parenthood clinic, because I have been blessed to have jobs that provided me with full healthcare benefits. Many of my female friends and relatives have not been so lucky; for them, Planned Parenthood was literally a lifesaver.
If you actually cared about being pro-life, you would want to help this organization that prevents abortions, that helps women. But I guess for you, life is only important until the child is actually born. Then it is everyone for themselves. Cutting programs that empower women, that educate and feed children, and that help the poor and low-income people of our country give the lie to your pro-life claims.
I doubt that I have in any way managed to change your mind on this issue, but I hope that you will consider looking at all the good done by Planned Parenthood and other similar organizations, and remove your name from sponsoring this reprehensible bill. I did not vote for you to be my congressperson, but since you are now in that position, it behooves you to listen to your constituents, all of them, not just the ones who agree with you.

No comments: