Friday, February 15, 2008

Now why would you do that?

Our local newspaper did something the other day that baffles me - it ran an article in it's Life section about great meatless meals for Lent, but didn't include a single recipe. It had pictures of the vegetarian chili and spanakopita, but at least for the latter, it said that it was really difficult to make but not hard to order at a restaurant! What?! I don't want to go to a restaurant to eat something you recommend, I want to know how to make it myself. (I did find several easy-looking recipes on the web, and plan to try one of them soon. The only difficult thing is the phyllo dough, but even then, it isn't like you actually have to make it!) In the same section, there was also an article on how to lighten up casseroles, with a picture of a tater tot and chicken casserole, without the recipe, again (not that I wanted to make it, but the principle applies). To try to be fair to the paper, the article was something off the wire, not written by their staff, but still. That sort of patronizing writing (it's too hard, go to a restaurant) really irritates me, and just goes to illustrate that Rochester is most definitely not a foodie town.

No comments: