Monday, February 18, 2008

Look Ma...


...we're in the canal! On our Saturday walk we noticed that someone had driven a snowmobile down the middle of the canal (that's the track to the left of Benjamin) and decided that this was as good a time as any to take a stroll in the canal. I doubt I would have tried it without the previous evidence that the ice was strong enough - I didn't grow up somewhere with ice that you could walk on, so I am a little bit nervous on that front, although I do know that people go fishing on it, play hockey on it, etc - but I figured I weigh less than a snowmobile. It was really cold last week, and the ice was pretty thick. Besides, the canal is really shallow right now, and if the ice broke, the worst that could happen would be for us to land up to our knees in cold water. Well, we didn't fall in. I wouldn't try it today though, because there's been a bit of a thaw over the weekend.

No comments: