Thursday, February 14, 2008

Go for a walk

Just back from a walk to the library. Walking is definitely my favorite form of locomotion. Sure, it takes longer than driving or riding my bike, but I get to see things and have enough time to register them in my mind. I can hear the birds singing, watch squirrels chase each other, smell the grass growing (well, not right now). This time of year, I get to feel the crunch of snow and ice beneath my feet, and notice the regression of the ice where the sun has been shining. Every time I walk along a familiar route, I see things in a new way - maybe I notice the color of a house, or the unique shape of a window, or a certain tree. That is harder to do by bike, and almost impossible by car. I have time to think, time to let my mind free itself of all the niggling worries and fears that swirl around my brain on a regular basis. When I was searching for cures for the hives that occasionally plague me, I once found a doctor online who said that if you could walk at a steady pace for 8-10 hours you could get rid of all the chemicals in your body that trigger the attacks. I can believe it - walking can certainly be a form of therapy.

And I never have to worry about finding a parking space, or a bike rack.

No comments: