Monday, September 24, 2007

"Very funny!"

I think this is my new favorite chuckle and snort of the day blog. I am one of those people who makes note of all the bad grammar and punctuation as I read the newspaper, a habit that made reading the student newspaper very painful. At last, I know I am not alone (well, I knew that - Benjamin feels the same way) in wondering what is up with people who have to throw quotation marks around everything - Benjamin calls them scare quotes...I am guilty of the overuse of parentheses and dashes, and maybe even the triple dot, but those can all be put down to authorial voice - there is no excuse for scare quotes!
(Here is a link to the article in the Seattle Times that brought this wonderful public service to my notice.)

In other news related news, the New York Times has ended the Times Select program/policy - for which I am profoundly grateful. For those of you who don't know, the NYT started putting certain articles and columnists (usually the most interesting ones) in this category called Times Select, meaning that if you wanted to read them online, you either had to be a subscriber to the physical paper (and why would you want to read an article again online if you have it in front of you at the breakfast table?) or to the Times Select plan. I was able to get around it when necessary using UT's subscription, but it was a cumbersome process. Now, however, they have decided to end the policy, so everything is available once again. Read about why they decided to end it here.

No comments: