Thursday, September 6, 2007

Slow day

I'm afraid I don't have any interesting goings on to report today. The Mariners lost again last night, having one terrible inning, after starting the game very well. At the U.S. Open Andy Roddick lost to Roger Federer, which isn't surprising, seeing as Federer is possibly the best male tennis player ever (if only I could play racquetball a tenth as well...), but is still disappointing. Like to have an American (from Austin, no less, even if it is only part time) in the U.S. Open. Neither of us follow tennis that closely, but we got hooked on the majors when we were in England on our honeymoon, at the same time as Wimbledon. We'd go out sight-seeing every morning, and come back to take a siesta in the afternoon and end up watching tennis before heading out for more culture. WE watched Roger before he won anything, so there. So, we make a bit of an effort to watch the big matches at least. Unless Roger does something stupid, like spraining a wrist while signing autographs, it looks like he will be champion again. The women's side is more open, with both Venus Williams and Justine Henin still playing. I think they play tomorrow. Whomever their opponent is in the finals (assuming one of them makes it) is probably just cannon fodder.

Anyway, I did some Tai Chi this morning, sans rain. Indeed, today is supposed to get close to 90, as is tomorrow. Tuesday barely got above 60. Strange weather patterns here. I guess it is the influence of Lake Ontario? I also went for a bike ride this morning. I decided to try and do wind sprints - where you sprint all out for a set period of time then go normally for a time, then repeat. It is supposed to build endurance if you do it regularly. It may do that, but for the moment all I can tell is that it has tired my legs out.

We are off to the DMV this afternoon to try to get NY state driver's licenses and get the car registered here. According to someone I talked to the other day, getting a new license has gotten incredibly difficult, requiring about 10 forms of identification to prove you are who you say you are. Luckily for us, we already have licenses, and just need to exchange them - and even this takes about 4 forms of ID apart from the licenses. If anything interesting or infuriating happens, I am sure I will report it here later today or tomorrow.

Oh yes, we just got our new recycling bins. Hurrah! We will be getting a trash bin too, but they are on back order until next week or later. Who knew trash was so popular?

No comments: