Wednesday, September 19, 2007

IM madness

OK. I am the first to admit that I am behind the times when it comes to digital communication. It isn't that I am a Luddite or anything, because I love email, spend far too much time surfing the internet, and hello - have a blog, but until today, I had never ever sent an instant message (IM for short - in case you were wondering, Mom). I knew about IMing, and many of my friends spend many hours a day doing it. I had just never done it - partially because I always maintained that I waste enough time as it is without adding to it.

Well, that has now changed (not the knowing I waste too much time, or the fear that I will waste too much time - I know that is true). I have now started to IM. Benjamin just got started so he could keep in touch with a friend who prefers to IM over sending email. I decided to give it a try so I could IM Benjamin while he is at work, in his office on campus (which, mind you, is only a 5 minutes walk away). So, at one point this evening, I was sitting at my desk, next to Benjamin at his computer (in the same room, within 3 feet of each other), sending him messages, and sending messages to his (our) friend Luke, using two different IM programs. Uh oh...am I in trouble now...

No comments: