Monday, September 24, 2007

Bicycle meditations

I have been going biking 2 or 3 times a week for a while now. I can go either east or west along the canal. The farthest west I have made it before turning around is the town of Holley; the farthest east is Adams Basin. The biggest problem is that the scenery doesn't vary much on the canal from day to day, apart from the changing leaves on the trees, and the occasional boat. The route to the east has stretches that are more isolated, meaning that there isn't a road directly alongside on either side of the canal. These stretches make the canal seem like a river in the wilderness - until you come upon the golf course... If I go east, I can stop at the library on the return trip. I can't take too many books though, because I have relatively small cargo space in my backpack/water bottle Camelback. This way home also involves a grueling climb up the ramp to the bridge I take to cross the canal (well, its not on the scale of the Alps, but still, at the end of a long ride, it is tough).

This morning I passed a tug boat pushing a barge. Does that make it something other than a tug - a pudge perhaps? Anyway, a working boat. On Fridays I tend to see more pleasure boats/rental vacation barges. These are sort of replicas of the barges that used to ply the canal - if you have ever seen the animated version of The Wind in the Willows you would recognize them. They are like the barge that rescued Toad when he escaped from prison, and later stole the barge horse... I assume that people rent these for the weekend, to putt along the canal and visit the small towns. Seems like it could be fun. There is a place on top to strap bicycles. Many times the people on the boats will wave. When you pass someone walking on the path, it is polite to at least nod, with a smile on your face, and add a hello or "morning," if you aren't too out of breath from sprinting. When you overtake someone, you are supposed to give an "audible signal" to let them know you are passing. I had Dad send me the bike bell I used to use as a kid, but I haven't put it on the handlebars yet. Actually, he sent two - one that is a nice sort of ring, the other a raucous clang - that one is from Japan, and I suspect it is best employed in traffic. It might make the people in front of you jump in the canal! You don't pass as many people during the week as you do on Saturday or Sunday morning.

Some days I see many critters, some days less. Today was a less, although I did see some mallards, squirrels, and a small, unidentified heron. The other day I passed within 10 feet of a Great Blue Heron, twice. These birds are quite large (as indicated by the "Great"), and it is really neat to see one so close. If you go for a walk or a ride closer to sunrise or sunset, you will probably see a lot of fish jumping - feeding on the small insects that abound at that time of day.

There is sometimes a headwind that makes the going tough - I have to peddle as hard as I can just to keep going. This morning the wind wasn't very strong, but my ears started to ache with the chill and the cold of the wind I generated just by biking. If I plan to bike once it starts getting really cold I will have to get some kind of ear warmers that fit under my helmet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the images of the canal. What a great opportunity for you!
Nature writing at its best:)

Anonymous said...

You need to check out my grandson's website for the solution to your cold ears. He' a 12 year old entrepreneur and I think you will like what you see at MittsForYourEars.com