Thursday, January 1, 2009

Favorite Books of 2008, Part 1

Since this is the time of year when the news media in all its various forms publishes top 10 lists of everything from best music to worst new TV shows to best pajama designs (OK, I made that last one up), I thought I would jump in with my own list. The one thing I can speak definitively about is books, so I am going to give you two lists: my top fiction finds, and my top non-fiction finds. Neither one adds up to 10, exactly, but I am sure you can get over that. They are listed in no particular order - I hate actually ranking things that way. Too messy. To start, here is my list of fiction:

Fiction
  • The Pellinor Series by Alison Croggon- The Naming, The Riddle, The Crow, and The Singing. I discovered the first book in the series at the Brockport library and devoured it and the two following. Then, I had to wait for the final book to be published (I had to order it from England, because it isn' coming out in the US until March), and while I was waiting, I cajoled Benjamin into letting me read the series to him. We gave the first two books to Benjamin's teenage step-sisters for Christmas. It is a fanstasy series in the same sort of vein as The Lord of the Rings, but with a female heroine, and no hobbits or dwarves.
  • The Magic, Inc. Series by Shanna Swendson- Magic, Inc., Once Upon Stilettos, Damsel Under Stress, and Don't Hex With Texas. Another fantasy series with a great female heroine. This one, however, is sort of a cross between Harry Potter and Sex in the City. It is strictly chick lit, bordering on romance novel territory, but it sure is fun. I gave the first book in the series to Annie for her birthday.
  • Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips - What would the Greek gods and goddesses do with themselves if they were still around and living in London? What could possibly go wrong if two mortals got mixed up with them?
  • Palace of Illusions by Chitra Divakaruni - a retelling of parts of ancient Indian legends, from a woman's perspective.
  • The Weaver and the Factory Maid and the other books in the Haunted Ballads Series by Deborah Grabien - A Scottish folk musician and his theatre actress/director girlfriend have to solve centuries old mysteries to stop dangerous hauntings. Sounds a little hokey, and I know they aren't to everyone's taste, but they are quite well written.
  • An Incomplete Revenge by Jacqueline Winspear - this is the most recent of the Maisie Dobbs mystery series. Set during and after WW I, featuring a perceptive, courageous, and damaged heroine/detective. All the books in this series are amazingly good.
  • Time Stops for No Mouse by Michael Hoeye - a YA novel, quite clever with its satire of society and with its little adventure. A shy watchmaker mouse falls in love and sets out to rescue the she-mouse he adores. There are others in the series, but I have yet to get a hold of them at my library.
  • Does My Head Look Big In This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah - Another YA novel, about a Australian-Muslim teenager and her decision to start wearing the hijab. The book focuses on what it means to her, why she chooses it, and how it does and doesn't change her life.

1 comment:

robert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.