Friday, January 2, 2009

Favorite 2008 Books, Part 2

I read quite a few interesting non-fiction books in 2008, but not all of them are worthy of inclusion on a best of the year list. Here are 8 that made my (totally subjective) list:
  • Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks - A look at the brain and music, how they interact, what happens when the brain has some sort of short circuit or injury, and so forth. With interesting case studies and personal observations. As an avid music listener and amateur musician, I found this fascinating.
  • China Road by Rob Gifford - Gifford was NPR's China reporter for many years, and before he left for a new position in London, he took a trip through China on their really big freeway. I appreciate books that make me look at other countries from a new perspective, and uncover stories that don't make the NYT. Gifford has a good narrative voice and a good sense of humor.
  • The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner - another NPR reporter, this time writing about the impact that geography has on national and personal happiness. Again, I like this because it gave me a look into other cultures. And the conclusions Weiner makes about happiness are interesting as well.
  • The Devil We Know by Robert Baer - A look at Iran, and its military/power ambitions, as well as how American leaders should deal with Iran. Baer was a CIA operative in the Middle East for many years, and had what seemed to me a good perspective on a troubling area of the world. It made me really want to visit Iran too, but that is another story. One of the books I hope President-elect Obama at least skims.
  • Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell - Vowell is a frequent commentator on NPR, and writes with a dry, cynical wit that I enjoy. This time, she writes about all of the American presidents (except Kennedy) who have been assassinated, and the background to the assassins and the assassinations.
  • Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely - I am glad to know I am not the only one making irrational decisions about purchases and behaving irrationally in other situations. Ariely has some interesting research and conclusions about our irrational economic actions - as opposed to the rational models usually used by economists.
  • In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson - Bryson takes on Australia. Do I really need to say more? Another of those books I like for the view it gives me of another place and people. And because it is by Bill Bryson, there are plenty of moments of humor and self-deprication.
  • Flat, Hot and Crowded by Thomas Friedman - another of the books I really hope Obama reads, or at least skims. The US and the world cannot continue on the same path it has been on, and Friedman gives some good examples of why not, and what we can do to change. It is going to take a complete 180 throughout the culture. I hope we can do it.
Those are my top picks of the year. Sorry I didn't provide links to these, but you can easily look them up for yourself. I am sure there are plenty of other books I could recommend, if you need something to read. And now, on to reading for 2009!

No comments: