Thursday, March 6, 2008

In Defense of Food

I just finished reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan, and found it rather anti-climactic. It isn't that it was disappointing, exactly, or that I disagree with it, but rather I think it was that I have already heard everything he had to say. I mean, I have read a bunch of reviews and interviews with him, so I already knew about his little mantra to help you learn to eat real food. And I have read several of the books he quoted extensively as sources, so those sections were re-treads. And I already know that it is better to eat real food, and not to rush, and to avoid high fructose corn syrup like the plague. I think also that I was hoping that this book would have the same quirkiness and personality of The Omnivore's Dilemma or The Botany of Desire, and it just doesn't. It is much shorter, and what seems to have been removed isn't substance, but some of the style.

One last nit to pick with Mr. Pollan - in his recommendations, he is obviously writing from California - a place where farmer's markets and CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) groups operate all year round. "Go to a farmer's market for all your produce." Well, we could sort of do that in Austin - at least the market was there all year - but not here. Our farmer's markets shut down in October and doesn't open again until May. The Public Market in Rochester has some "fresh" and local foods, but a majority of the food for sale comes from wholesalers. So, because we didn't/couldn't plan ahead and freeze things as they came available, we have to buy our produce from the supermarket.

So, there is my review. Any thoughts from those who have also read it?

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I'll have to read the book since I do live in California and I really liked The Botany of Desire. I also wanted to let you know that you inspired me to create my own blog: jenneferp.blogspot.com. Sorry I didn't e-mail you with the info but you are not in my address book.

Annie said...

Haven't read it yet, but here's my 2 cents: Eating from the farmer's market is lovely when there's food being produced, but we're about to start 3 months of meat and turnips, which means it's back to the Safeway. But at least we know to skip the "strawberries" and other pretend fruits from South America. They look rip, but they aren't.

Annie said...

Ripe! I mean Ripe!