Thursday, February 3, 2011

Is it rape-rape, or just rapesque?

Sorry, but I am going to get political here for a moment. The U.S. House of Representatives has been working on a bill that would redefine which types of rape are eligible for government funded health care. The whole thing is horrifying, if you care about women at all and think that they should have the autonomy to make decisions about their own bodies. Thankfully, some of the language that was most offensive has been removed.

It just so happens that this is also the middle of Trust Women month, which is a campaign to show support for women's reproductive rights.

I didn't used to think about abortion at all, except when the topic was forced on me by the news or politicians, and I didn't have much of an opinion on the matter. I don't think I could ever go through with one myself, but I firmly believe that it should be my choice - not some rich, old, white man.  I am a fully functional human being, I have rights and I have a brain. Let me use them. If you personally do not support abortion, don't have one. It is that simple. That is what freedom is all about. The chance to make our own decisions and our own mistakes.

I found the following clip over on Feministing, which points out the role that comedy can have in helping to change national dialogue.  And Jon Stewart makes a point that I echo here - all of us have to pay taxes, and some of those taxes are bound to go to support things we don't like.  The Iraq War for example. So why should this be any different?

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Rape Victim Abortion Funding
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire Blog</a>The Daily Show on Facebook

No comments: