Here is the recipe. Amber and I are fiddling with it, to see if we can make it even better, but this is the basic recipe.
Amber's Mom's Granola:
- 4 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 2 cups flaked coconut (optional - I don't like coconut, so I left it out when I made it, but I didn't notice it when it was in the original batch)
- 2 cups sliced almonds (I didn't have sliced almonds, or enough almonds, so I just chopped up whole almonds, threw in some peanuts, and extra cashews)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup olive or canola oil
- 1/2 cup honey
Bake at 300 F for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Let the granola cool for a few minutes, then return to the bowl and add:
- 1 cup dried figs, chopped (I used Mission, but I bet you could use any variety you like)
- 1 cup dried cherries (I used Bing, but I bet the sour cherries would also be good)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped (I used unsulphered Turkish apricots from WF, they are less sticky and not so orange. And they taste great.)
- 1/2 - 1 cup roasted cashews or hazelnuts
Addendum: I just found this recipe on the internet, and it looks like it may originally have come from Nantucket Open-House Cookbook by Sarah Chase. I may have to check this book out at the library.