- 3-4 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, diced or crushed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- basil - amount is up to you. I always think the more the merrier. Dried or fresh, also up to you. If using fresh, you should probably wait and add it closer to the end.
- oregano - see note with basil
- salt - 1/2 tablespoon or to taste (keep in mind that the beans do suck up some of the salt)
- 16 oz. can of tomatoes (diced or stewed or whole, whatever is your preference. I use diced)
- 1/2 cup broth
- 1 can each of : pinto beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans (or cannellini, or whatever floats your boat), drained and rinsed. Try to get beans without added sugar or flavors.
- 1/2 kielbasa, sliced or diced
- Spaghetti or other noodles of your choice.
2. Saute the onions, garlic, and carrots until soft - 5-10 minutes on medium heat. Add the basil, oregano, and salt. Add canned tomatoes, broth and crisped bacon and cook for 5 minutes to combine flavors. Start water for the pasta.
3. Add the drained and rinsed beans. Simmer for a while to combine flavors and warm the beans.
4. Add kielbasa to the beans when you add the pasta to the water.
5. Serve the sauce over the pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.