Monday, March 2, 2009

Weekend baking

After not baking anything last weekend, I did quite a bit this weekend. On Thursday, for a work party and philosopher's widows night, I baked ginger cookies - sorry no pictures of those. They are all gone, thanks to the many hungry mouths. Because they are so easy to make, and aren't too rich, they are great to make for parties or pot lucks.

At the office party, E. brought a very yummy banana pudding. I have never had banana pudding (according to the various Southerners there, it is because I am a deprived Northerner), and I am going to have to try making it some time. While I didn't do that this weekend, I was inspired to make banana bread - that, and the large number of bananas in my freezer. I like making banana bread in two smaller pans, instead of the large pan called for, because Benjamin and I cannot (should not) eat an entire loaf at one time. By making two, I can stick one in the freezer for later, when I don't want to bake. Anyway, it turned out really well.


At the same time on Saturday, I also made hamburger buns. In Austin, we used to buy fresh baked bolillo rolls for buns, but the only buns here are pasty, high-fructose laden bread impostors. So, we have taken to making our own. To come clean, most of the work for the buns was done by the bread machine, but I did have to shape them. As you can see, they came out beautifully (except for that one on the top left...don't know what happened to that one *smile*).

And, of course, I also baked my weekly loaf of bread on Sunday. This week was just a regular wheat loaf, nothing special, but it went really well with the broccoli soup from Orangette that we had for dinner.

Everywhere I have taken the gingersnaps I have had requests for the recipe. Maybe you will like it as well. Here it is:

Gingersnaps: From Cooking Light, May 2001.

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
7 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg

1) Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Place 3/4 cup granulated sugar, butter and brown sugar in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well-blended. Add the honey, vanilla, and egg, beat well. Add the flour mixture, beating at low speed until well-blended. Cover dough and freeze 1 hour or until firm.
2) Preheat oven to 350 F.
3) Lightly coat hands with cooking spray (optional, but it will prevent sticking), shape the dough into 24 (1-inch) balls. Roll the balls in a 1/4 cup granulated sugar; place the balls 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes on pans. Remove cookies from pans and cool on wire racks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember that "by" and "buy" are different words:)
The buns looked wonderful! I want one for breakfast....

Anonymous said...

I made banana bread this weekend, too!