Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Daffodils

I hinted at a daffodil post last week, and now that my new camera is here, I can finally follow up. The daffodils are blooming here in Arkansas. I love daffodils. Don't get me wrong, I love tulips and hyacinths and paperwhites and all those other blooming harbingers of the season, but daffodils have a special place in my affections. I am not sure when they first became my favorite sign of spring, but it may have been college. First of all, the Whitman College campus is covered with daffodils, so much so that you can hardly get away from them. They are so bright and cheerful in the gray of a northwestern spring. Secondly, the Safeway store just down the street from my dorm used to carry (may still , for all I know) daffodils, 2 bunches for $5. This was a great bargain for a poor college student, and a wonderful way to brighten up a dorm room. I bought a vase for a dollar from the thrift store, and filled it with daffodils every week for as long as they were on sale. When we moved to Texas, flowers of all kinds became an indulgence, a luxury - I guess spring flowers just don't like the short winter and hot spring - $10 or more for 6 sad little tulips or daffys. And they don't like being transported half-way across the country. In New York last year, I planted some of my own daffodils, and was pleased to discover additional bulbs sprouting from the previous owners. This year, I am back in an apartment and have no daffodils of my own, but like college, there are daffodils everywhere for me to enjoy. And, in the garden of the empty house next to our building, there is a row of daffodils, waiting to be admired.

No comments: