Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Spring Fever

Spring seems to be coming along here in Arkansas. The daffodils are emerging, the magnolias on the capitol grounds have started to bloom, the sun is out (today anyway - it was cold and drizzly all day yesterday). On the ride in to work (G's day to drive) I saw a Great Blue Heron, a kingfisher of some sort, an egret, and a red-wing black bird. I can hear birds chirping as I eat my breakfast.

Along with spring, comes spring fever. I am feeling restless - eager to be out of our apartment and into a house (still several months away, at least), tired of being at a job all day (although the money is good, and necessary for restless symptom #1). I want to start a garden, I want to cook and eat interesting things that don't involve root vegetables, lentils, and long simmering times. I want to travel...

As usual, any attempts I make to soothe these feelings only ends up making them more acute. Today I found my way to a new (to me) food blog out of Seattle, Orangette, and it is exquisite torture to sit here and read it at the reference desk. Food, Seattle, traveling - all things I cannot have at the moment, but all things I love. Sigh.

I suppose I ought to enjoy these feelings while I can; soon enough it will be summer - hot and humid and life-draining. Then, I won't want anything, and daffodils will only be a memory.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Here's a link to the ravioli filling (http://www.annamariavolpi.com/ravioli.html). Amounts are approximate (for me anyway). I use frozen spinach (10oz) and the ricotta I buy comes in a 15 oz container. My dough is not from this recipe, but the filling is enough for a four-egg dough. I use Marcella Hazan's Italian Kitchen cookbook for my dough smarts. Uncle Al says to dry them for ~4 hours before freezing (turn them every 30 min.) and that will help keep them from breaking up in the cooking water. I've not tried it yet, but you know he's the top chef. (-; CHeers - Mary

Anonymous said...

Oh, man! I should have thought to recommend Orangette to you myself-- I've been reading her for at least 4 years. That's definitely my favorite food blog. Her Brussels sprouts pasta is practically a weekly occurrence in our household.

Hope said...

Agh! You knew about her? She makes me incredibly homesick, and hungry.