Friday, April 18, 2008

Observations on a springtime walk

Birds I saw and/or heard on my walk this morning: Robins, seagulls (perhaps they ought to be canal gulls, this far from salt water?), ducks, Canada geese, red wing blackbirds, blue jay, cardinals, some kind of woodpecker, finches, chickadees, sparrows (I am not a fanatical enough birder to try to identify exactly which of the bewildering number of sparrows we have here), starlings, possibly a grackle or two, possibly waxwings, possibly a swallow (of these last three, my glimpses were to brief to be conclusive). I will probably see at least one hawk on my drive in to work.

Flowers seen: violets growing in lawns and in the grass on the side of the canal path, daffodils, mini-daffodils, hyacinths, tulips, forsythia, some sort of flower that looks like a hyacinth but with bigger flowers and less scent (my mom would probably be able to name it if she could see it).

The water level in the canal has started to creep upwards as predicted.

No comments: