Hope's Tuna Casserole
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20-30 minutes
1 pound pasta - bowties or some other shapes work well. They are sturdier and hold the sauce better than the traditional egg noodles.
1-2 Tbsp oil, divided
1/2-3/4 cup diced onion
2 sticks celery, diced
1 cup or so chopped mushrooms - I prefer baby bellas, but whatever sort you like/can find at the store would be fine.
2 cans tuna - I keep it simple and use chunk light tuna in water
1 can cream of chicken or cream of celery soup (this is the biggest change - cream of mushroom is just so...gray)
1/2 cup milk - I used whole milk this time, but whatever you normally use would be fine.
1 1/2 cups frozen green peas or frozen peas and carrots
salt and pepper
1 cup grated cheese - I used sharp cheddar this time, but I have also used pepper jack with success
1) Preheat oven to 375.
2) Cook pasta according to the instructions on the bag/box. Drain and put back into pot or in a large mixing bowl.
3) Sauté the onion and celery in half of the oil until soft, but not brown. When finished, add to the noodles.
4) Heat the second half of the oil and sauté the mushrooms until they are soft and have released some of their juices. Add to the noodles and onion/celery mix.
5) Drain the tuna and add to the pot. Also add the soup, the milk, and the peas. Stir everything together and season with the salt and pepper to taste.
6) Pour the noodle mixture into a two quart casserole dish. Top with the grated cheese.
7) Bake for 20-30 minutes until bubbling and the cheese is melted. If you like the cheese a little browner, turn on the broiler for the last couple of minutes.